Monday, July 6, 2009

A CUP OF CREATIVI-TEA



(Published in The Camellia, July-September 2007. Copyright Dr.Ritu Arora)

Tea has always been a passion of mine, even as a child I was intrigued by it. You see, I was one of the unusual kids that liked things most adults and other kids didn't notice or care about. At two, my parents would add a few drops to tea liquor my glass of milk, as a variation to the usual drink. I usually said stop at the fourt or fifth drop. I was a big girl, and was allowed to drink tea. My parents' passion had been absorbed by me!

At three, i enjoyed going to the factory in the evenings, to get that fruity aroma. I have a vivid recollection of developing a curiosity for tea when I was six and it wasn't because of a Lewis Carroll story or an imaginary tea party. It started with another thing I was intrigued by... fine art. After a number of books and paintings(did I mention Mom used to do a lot of paintings) a singular theme that caught my eye -- tea. At times it was the subject, as in still lifes when a tea pot would be seen along side the fruit, others times it was an event, such as in the leisurely images of women drinking tea. These images made an impression on me and the idea of enjoying tea seemed such a wonderful thing. For my 10th I.C.S.E. Board exam, i submitted my major project on Tea- CTC tea to be precise. CTC tea (Crush-Tear-Curl) is the most common form of tea worldwide.

I had my first taste of tea at the proper age of 13, while on a trip to England. It struck me as the appropriate thing to do and my parents didn't seem to mind that I ordered it daily (and cut the taste with a lot of sugar!). I felt so sophisticated and enjoyed the experience, though I hadn't the ability to take the tea pure, without lemon or sugar. It would take me many more years until I was able to do that with any sort of ease and even then I still preferred a spoonful of sugar most of the time.

I was and still am obsessed with tea. For my biology practicals, during my 12th Boards, I did an extensive project on tea- CTC again. Research during my post-graduation, that got me a national award, was on (you may have guessed) -- Tea and Dental Health.

It wasn't until my late teens that I became something of a purist. At that point I began discovering higher grades of tea and explored the tastes between them. Now, I have such an expansive palate that I can notice the subtle differences between various lots of tea. The ability to do so is an experience I enjoy privately. It is sort of a personal reward for the time I have spent educating myself about this beautiful wonder known as tea.

As an adult I've always taken tea as sort of a meditative catalyst. The action of taking tea provides me with valuable moments of rest and contemplation. It is during tea time that I allow myself to pause, breath and focus on finding my center amidst the fast pace of my day. I keep a collection of tea accouterments that bring me joy, either because of their shape, color or memories of previous experience. I look forward to preparing my tea not just for the ritual itself, but for the pleasure I experience grasping the handle of a favorite pot or holding a beautiful cup in the palm of my hand. Following the soothing ritual of preparing my tea, I smell the bouquet, taste the brew and think "everything is good".

As an incredibly busy person, tea in a way provides me with a reason to slow down and feel good, even if just for a moment. It makes the worst of days seem tolerable. On the surface tea seems to be a simple thing, though really it is its own beautiful world that encompasses many complexities. It offers up a lush history with extremely different experiences from the Eastern to Western countries. Beauty, art, science, philosophy, adventure, tradition and intrigue can all be experienced within the world of tea. As a Renaissance woman who is captivated by the complex, it is no wonder I have a passion for tea.

“The formula is 2.5 grams of tea for every 50 milliliters of water, heated to 100 degrees Celsius (no-more-no-less); then steeped for five minutes (no-more-no-less), covered, and only in a neutral ceramic or porcelain pot. Tea is very sensitive", my father used to say. "Ah, but, the taste of tea, as breath, is just illusion. Impermanent. Precious, subjective. And gone."

Alas, such perfection is rarely attainable, especially at most of the offices-homes-storefronts, and in many states in the Southern and Western parts of our country, where we can only politely accept cup after cup of imperfect cha, usually served with a plate of “biscuits” . Now you know why I hate ordering tea anywhere, except my own premise, because I hate the concoctions that people usually serve. Creativi-tea indeed!

Nearly everyone we visit, from colleagues to relatives, even the guy at the CD store, who got me a shot of dood-chai, while I waited patiently, for my selection to arrive from his godown. All of these people serve us tea until I worry that it will pour out from our foreheads, in this profoundly hot Summer. Though our various hosts are well-intentioned, and though most of their lives are awash in, and dependent on, tea, few actually serve us a right proper cuppa. For one they add milk and sugar, which is a strict no-no for purists. For the 'instant tea' makers, tear open a tea-bag sometime, and look at what you are drinking. Unless I'm at a 'Chai-Bar'( my favourite being the Leela Galleria, Bangalore), I usually ask for a juice or a coffee.

One of the key points to keep in mind about black tea is its distinctive flavor. Because of the manner in which it has been processed, it can easily be differentiated from other forms of tea. Once you’ve sampled black tea, chances are you will never be nostalgic for other types of tea. While black tea may be an acquired taste, once you’ve become accustomed to it, you’ll probably want to make black tea-drinking a lifelong habit.

Recently in Pune, an acquaintance asked for a cup of tea. With a smile on my face, I ordered it, and loved the faces he made as he drank the orangish liquid. "It hits my palate", he said. Sure, I thought to myself, anyone who knows anything about tea, knows better than ordering it in Hinjewadi. "There is a particular way of making tea", he continued, "you must add the milk first", and then the liquor. "Try explaining that to the waiter who got you the liquid. "I know how to make tea, most people are unaware of the art", he chimed in again, a little later. Tell me about it. "You see, my father was a tea-planter", he concluded. I merely smiled and said, "So was mine".

We do have something in common, even though its not temperament or nature. We are one big Tea family. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment